Skip to main content

You Are Beautiful

Hello, you. 
Welcome to my world. I will be sharing my life with you, as I saw it. 
I hope you learn something too.
 I am 18, with brain of 25. I just feel 25 years old even though I recently just turned 18. At some time I just feel like I am not aging, time feels like a frozen pond. Sometimes I feel good about it, no hurricanes, and simple peaceful life. But there are times when I look at people and wonder if I am living way too simple or if I am living at all? But every once in a while, something happens that leaves me restless and those kind of moments are the kind of moments I feel alive, I feel like a girl who can be more than what she thinks of herself. 

A lot of my years went by, when I was busy feeling insecure about things that were not worth it. I never needed to be insecure about anything but the people on the TV told me about all of things I was not and somehow I started to feel different than others. What I didn’t know back then was, everybody was conscious about them at that age and they didn’t have the time to think about anyone else except themselves. During puberty, my body was changing and I never knew what to expect, because I was never given the “talk”. I think I would have been able to handle things much better if I had know what I was going through or about to. Still, limping through the long road, I never lost my balance. There were a lot of moments which seemed embarrassing to me at the time but when I think of it now, it wasn’t. I always exaggerated things and that to, in my mind only and I never talk about it to anyone.

 I was never told “You are beautiful” and when puberty hits, the only thing one wants is, to be beautiful.  I kind of started to believe that I was not pretty and I was not worth anything or anybody’s love. In my school life, there was always buzz about ‘the couple’ or someone having crush on someone.  I kind of learned from seeing family discussions, that it is not good to have relationships at a young age and those who have it, are not considered good and sober kids, so, I never thought about dating. I never liked gossip about me so, I avoided these things and come to think of it, those were juvenile relationships and none of those people are happy about their past decision, if you ask them now. But as I am growing up, I want to date someone, do new things every weekend, not just waste my time sitting and scrolling through YouTube videos. Even though I want to talk to someone, I just build my walls higher, thinking what’s the point of sharing something personal? I go with the mantra ‘You should not let anyone in.’

Love is still a cringy thought for me, because I don’t have much good examples around me to support this “Beautiful Feeling”. I think it will take a lot of time for me to get used to the thought of loving someone because nobody told me that loving someone is good. How can I speak a language that I never learnt?

The society where I live in, have so many taboos and so many ‘talks’ behind the close doors and the old generation is teaching the next generation all those things that are outdated and stopping the next generation from doing so many things. Because of these things and stupid standards, I didn’t feel good in my skin for a very long time. I used to look in the mirror and cry asking myself “Why are you not pretty? Why are you ugly?”. I get that, they have seen and has experience with the world, but sorry to break it to the old people, the experiences they have, the next generation will never have. This world we are living in, is ever-evolving. So please, stop telling the kids “Feeling is bad. You should be modest. Don’t let the secrets out. Don’t talk about your feelings because ‘What will people say?’”. The way a kid is socialized, makes a big impact on his coming life, because he believes in those beliefs even though they are bogus.

I am lucky enough to see the beauty in me now. I don’t stand in front of the mirror and cry. Now I smile and wonder “How can I be so beautiful?”. It really is about, what you think about yourself, and what kind of people you are surrounded by, because at a young age, where you believe in magic and fairies, you believe the hurtful lies people tell you and sometimes, those people are your own people and that shit hurts, when you are reminded of what useless trash you are, everyday. I really believe, being kind is not much on our part, but it can mean the world to someone. So, next time, when someone tries to put you down, reply with a “Thank You” and I can guarantee you, it will piss them off. You are not entitled to take people shit's, and stop that person at the moment, so they know how to behave from next time.

It almost took me all of my teenage years to feel good in my skin and I always felt that I was alone and was the odd one out but to someone, who is reading this, and feeling the same too, I want to tell you that you are not alone.We all feel the same feelings, be it happy, sad, useless, ugly, anxious, just at different times. I wish somebody told this to my younger self, what I am saying to you "You are not alone. We are in this together! and you are the most beautiful person I know!"

Writer: Anushka Kaushik

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Visit again!

Popular posts from this blog

Living with peace

I was watching a Netflix special where the comedian tells the audience that he doesn’t know anything about his father’s life before he was born, which made me think; how well do I know my parents, in this matter? And the answer was nothing. I am not even sure of the colour they like. I would definitely fail in a family tag game. After watching that show, I decided that I will try to learn more about my parents and get to know them a little more than I do. Following this path, I asked my mom a bunch of questions like, how she lived when she was 12 years old, any memories she has of her personal life, anything she can share with me before I was born.  I wanted to know everything about her. I hoped that she would share her life with me. But she didn’t. I know it’s not possible to share an entire life’s stories with someone but it would be fascinating to know those stories. My mother asked me why I was enquiring her about these questions and I told her my reason. She told me that, she wa

I am sorry

 I really need to get this out of my system. Last couple of months, have been full of sighs for me. The guilt keeps filling me for something that happened on my birthday. Just as regular birthdays, I invited some of my friends over. We had a blast! We danced, singed and ate good food. One of my friends, stayed for the night because it was dangerous to go back alone at night. I really liked this friend. Whenever we were together, I had this strong urge to kiss him but I could never initiate. One day, when I was at his house, I asked him to kiss me after I replayed the line for 3 hours in my mind. He kissed me on the cheek and I gave him a disappointed look. Noah :  On the lips?( paused for a nanosecond ) My lips are dry now. He came to kiss me. I pulled away saying " no need  ". He started giggling. When I was leaving his house, he said "I will talk to you about it on the phone." I kind of pretended that I ignored what he said while in reality I was so nervous. But h